Why it occurs?
Dry hair is caused by lots of factors we have no control over like genetics. Look at your mom or dad's hair. Does their hair seem dry and brittle? Give them a big thanks for that gift! Since your genetics were a result of mom and dad getting frisky, these can't be changed drastically. But don't loose faith, there is a great deal you can do to correct your hair's dryness.
Dry hair can be due in part to a lack of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is necessary to stimulate the genes that control the hair growth process, called keratinization. The success of this process is very dependent on the foods you eat. In the case of dry hair, you may not be getting the right proportion of vitamin A in your diet. As a result, your hair may be dry and brittle.
How to correct it?
Load up on foods that are rich in essential fatty acids and healthy fats. Foods that are high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids like lineolic acid will insure proper hydration to the hair. It is also important to drink one to two liters of water a day to keep hair supple. If you are like me, I just can't picture what a liter looks like, so this may help:
- A liter is a little over 33 ounces. 2 liters would be just over 66 ounces, which would be roughly eight 8 ounce glasses of water, plus a little more (8 glasses would be 64 ounces). It's roughly the same as 1/2 gallon or 2 quarts.
What foods should I include?
All of that science stuff is interesting but just tell me what I should be eating. Eat foods like tuna, salmon and trout. If you are not a fish lover, try flaxseed, walnuts, fresh fruits and vegetables. Basically the foods your mother has been trying to get you to eat since you were little!
What foods should I avoid?
- canned foods with large amounts of sodium or fat
- breads and pastas made with refined white flour instead of whole grains
- packaged high-calorie snack foods such as chips and candies
- frozen fish sticks and frozen dinners that are high in sodium
- packaged cakes and cookies
- boxed meal mixes that are high in fat and sodium
- sugary breakfast cereals
- processed meats
What hair products will help?
- Calista Tools Enrich and Smooth shampoo and conditioner - The organic Argan oil in Enrich and Smooth, is a highly concentrated source of Vitamin E, fabulous for adding hydration to your dry brittle hair.
- Calista Tools Reclaim Serum - This serum is made with a high concentration of pure organic Argan oil.